Welcome to the English subject page!
We aim to develop pupils’ abilities within an integrated programme of Speaking & Listening, Reading
and Writing. Pupils will be given opportunities to interrelate the requirements of English within a
broad and balanced approach to the teaching of English across the curriculum, with opportunities to
consolidate and reinforce taught literacy skills.
At Grimsargh St Michael’s C of E Primary school, we aim for the children to be able to ‘Promote high
standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and
written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment.’
(National Curriculum 2014- Department for Education).
We aim to ensure that all pupils:
• read easily, fluently and with good understanding
• develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
• acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic
conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
• appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
• write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range
of contexts, purposes and audiences
• use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their
understanding and ideas
• are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations,
demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
(Taken from the National Curriculum for English Key Stage 1 and 2 2014- Department for Education).
English Policy: English-2021
As one of our school improvement priorities, reading is a key development focus for our school.
Our aim is ‘To develop a reading environment and reading culture across the school community’
Please access our school reading page to help support the development of reading at home with your child: Reading
These progression of skills documents detail how each reading and writing skill develops sequentially throughout our school.